Welcome to Stephens
Kindergarten Orientation 2022-2023
Memories of Kindergarten
Take a moment to try and remember your kindergarten experience.
Are your memories similar to these photos?
Let me introduce you to some of the adults you will be meeting in person soon!
- Josh Reineking - Kinder Teacher
- Carrie Turner- Kinder Teacher
- Jorie Steffen - Kinder Teacher (bilingual)
- Sarah Galanter-Guziewski - Principal
- Steven Blue - Assistant Principal
- Margo Benzschawel - School Secretary
- Ingrid Tornbaum de Richter - Bilingual Resource
- Amy Bennett - School Social Worker
- Adan Vasquez - School Psychologist
- Lindsey Johnson - Family Liaison
Students come via yellow school bus, walking or driving. All students enter through on the path to the left of the school. Then go in their assigned door. If you arrive after 7:30 am go in the front door. If you arrive after 7:35am you are considered tardy.
Typical Day in Kindergarten includes...
Specials - Physical Education,, Art, Music, Library, CAMP
Well Rounded - Lunch, Recess, Choice Time, Mindfulness, & Quiet Time
Start of Day
Breakfast starts at 7:15am: All students have the opportunity to eat breakfast from school or bring a breakfast from home
Morning Meeting: Students and their teacher get together to build community, share a morning message, and preview topics and activities for the day
Whole group instruction includes three components:
Language Comprehension - A high-interest read-aloud
Foundational Skills - Language sounds and phonics instruction
Writing - Handwriting, mechanics, and composition
Small group instruction may include:
- Foundational skills work, writing, reading, expressive and receptive language instruction
Independent practice may include:
- Writing, reading to self or a partner, Lexia (computer based), skill practice
Our Math Workshop is typically divided into three sections:
Number Corner: Students participate in calendar, number line, and fluency building activities on a daily basis
Whole Group and Small Group lessons: designed to meet kindergarten standards and support student areas of growth
Independent work: Dreambox and Curriculum Workplaces
Science and Social Studies
Science: Needs of Plants and Animals, Pushes and Pulls, and Sunlight and Weather. This will be new for us in 22-23
Outdoor Education: spending time in our garden
Social Studies: Inquiry practices and processes, wants and needs, geography, history
- One hour a week with Ms. Gallo in Art Class
- Two half hours a week with Music with Ms. Haugen
- Three half hours a week for Physical Education with Mr. Huggins or Mr. Hampton
- One hour a week for CAMP (Creativity, Arts, Mindfulness, Projects) with Ms. Speich and 30 minutes in the library with the classroom teacher and Ms. Pavlik.
30 minutes a day Dress for success!
What does Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) look like at Stephens?
Daily SEL lessons, community circles, and opportunities to practice SEL skills embedded across the curriculum
Integrated school-wide and classroom systems to support emotional regulation and social skills
SPARK hallway - a space for students to regulate during the day
What happens if my child struggles with social emotional skills at school? Students have access to personalized support through their classroom teacher, school psychologist, and school social worker
Strengthening relationships between families, teachers, and school
Events and Fundraising
Kindergarten Play Dates
Your Kindergartener is registered so they are a “returning student”. Every August you will “enroll” your child. Online enrollment opens on August 3rd.
Go to: madison.k12.wi.us/enrollment
Questions? Email Margo at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enrollment Day is Wednesday, August 17 from 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm (This is only for students not already enrolled)
Important Dates at Stephens:
This page has dates of PTO meetings and other Stephens specific events. It is tentative.
Office/Safe Arrival line: (608) 204-1900
Online attendance madison.k12.wi.us/attendance-information
MMSD Website https://madison.k12.wi.us
Stephens Website https://stephens.madison.k12.wi.us
Start Time: 7:30 a.m.
Dismissal: 12:55 p.m.
Tuesdays - Fridays
Start Time: 7:30 am
Dismissal: 2:27 p.m.
Tuesday - Friday
AM Session: 7:30-10:33
PM Session: 11:14-2:27
What questions do you or your child have?
Email me at anytime: email@example.com